DVM Candidate – Summer Externship program at Tulare Veterinary Hospital
This position is open to Veterinary Students in their 2nd and 3rd year of Veterinary Medicine only .
TVH is a partnership of a companion animal and dairy veterinarian located in the Central Valley of California. Students can tailor their experience to working on either side of the practice or create a mixed experience. The companion animal side consists of primary dog and cat patients with a full service hospital including routine appointments and emergencies as they occur during office hours. The practice is equipped with a surgery suite and dental equipment, digital radiography (including digital dental radiography), laser therapy, and large technical and support staff. Students can expect to practice their technical skills, including venipuncture, IV catheter placement, and drug calculations, as well as surgical skills including tissue handling, suture patterns, knots, and aseptic technique. The dairy side consists of pregnancy checks, consulting for dairy farmers, and vaccination/ear-tagging of calves for Brucellosis.
- MUST BE 2ND OR 3RD YEAR VETERINARY STUDENT
- Students should be able to commit to working at least 40 hours per week during their 3-6 week externship. Your hours will be from 7:30 am – 5:30 pm Monday through Friday with an hour off for lunch.
- Students should also be prepared to adjust to the pace of the practice and willing to assist in duties beyond their job description as the need arises.
- Students should be comfortable interacting with clients, other veterinarians, technical staff and office staff on a daily basis
- Dress code: scrubs and if interested in Dairy Services you will also need coveralls
We strongly encourage any applicant to the internship program to spend at least two weeks visiting the hospital.
For more information please contact our office manager by filling out the form below: